Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Restoring a Classic

Prologue

Okay, so as you may have read on my other blog, Rosa de Rosas, I’ve come to the realization that putting effort into maintaining my body might actually help in my quest for enlightenment. Not that I worship or idolize it or anything, it’s just that it’s the vessel (taken here in the vehicular sense) in which my soul will travel in this life. Considering how hard the journey is at times, I figure I may as well “pimp my ride”.


So with the goal of making my physical self like a Big Daddy Roth caricature of a ’62 El Camino, I have decided to do some ‘wrenching”. First off I’m gonna do a bit of chop-and-section work. I’d like to actually see my ribs again, so some body weight needs to go. To this end I’ve decided I will try Dr. Barry Sears’ Zone Diet. I’m not normally the kind of person who would think of trying a diet from the New York Times’ bestseller list, but I’ve actually witnessed the results in other people. One of my circle of friends has tried it and has offered to coach me. She’s an indie film maker / actress / theater person so she was already in pretty good shape but having shed 40 lbs. over the last year looks like a yoga magazine model now. The surprising thing is that she doesn’t seem to have to deal with the drama of hassling every waiter about her diet when ever she’s out with the gang. She can eat steak, drink wine and you’d never know she was dieting.

I’ve already been reducing my weight for over a year now, so this shouldn’t be too difficult. By the way, my Chiropractor /Physical Therapist scolded me for saying that I’d “lost” weight. To loose something is negative – to reduce or shed it is positive. So after some friends persuaded me that my two-pint-a-day beer habit was not exactly a healthy thing, I’ve stopped drinking beer during the work week, from Monday morning to Friday afternoon. Just this one change in my diet has allowed me in 12 months to reduce by 25 lbs, and two inches in my waist line. Great. To reduce any further will require more work, but I’m ready for that, I think. I’ve also decided that in order to repair my body I need to rest consistently so I’m going to make myself sleep an average of 6 hours a night. My work often keeps me from doing this, but I’m going to try to average it out 6 hours/night over the course of a work week.



Starting Out

So to begin here’s what my stats look like:

August 10, 2006

Weight: 240 lbs

Waist: 41

Wrist: 7.75

% Body Fat: 24

Pulse: 84 (Mid-Day, slight stress)

Zone Blocks per Day: 15


My short term goals are to:

See my ribs and move mi pansa north to my chest.

Sleep an average of 6 hours a night.

My long term goals are to:

Resume martial arts training.

Compete in an endurance sport.

So with these rather simple goals in mind I’m going to report my progress here. I’ve already been on this program for a few days while setting up this blog so I’ll have a report at the end of the week.


PEACE

G

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gil, since you are "at risk" for type II diabetes--may i suggest that you continue your good efforts here and IF you ever engage that natural ravage to the human body--PLEASE research: Byetta. Check it out anyhow--it is the only real drug out there in never never land that will reduce weight!

Cheerfully, RK

12:40 AM  
Blogger Juliana said...

Gil - good luck. I'm still working on my post-baby poundage. I embrace it like a friend - a friend I'm continually trying to throw out of the house.

We still miss your pretty mug, though. Handsome men are handsome whether or not they're the same size they were at 25.

The Gnostosphere needs more Latin men. And right now, our standard-bearer is hiding himself! :( Bummer...

Go on then - work that body. Then share some of it with us. Tastefully, of course....

7:35 AM  
Blogger Padre G said...

@RK: Thanks for the advice. I've dealt with blood sugar levels my whole life so I do keep a close watch on such things. I have this rule: if it didn't come out of the ground, it doesn't go in my body. I have to be pretty ill to use any sort of chemical drug which is why I'm trying to go natural...

@Juliana: The 'mug' just got changed and you'll see the results soon in an upcoming post. Funny you should call me the 'Standard Bearer' - I've often thought of myself as that...

And as much as the Gnostosphere needs Latin men, it needs Latin ladies just as much but a lot more people in general would be a good thing too...

9:23 AM  
Blogger Juliana said...

I want to make salsa a requirement of being a Gnostic cleric. No church leadership that can't dance.

Now that would make an interesting "rush week." See who can remain standing, and dancing, after x number of margaritas and still look good...

;)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Padre G said...

Rush Week? That would be the 1-5 de Mayo...

9:26 AM  
Blogger Andrea (Acolyte) said...

I've been behind in reading the blogs.
As one who struggles with weight, I know where you're coming from. For myself, I always go back to weight watchers, it's the only thing that ever worked for me, but then I get lazy or life gets in the way and I put back on those pounds.

So I look forward to watching your journey in this and I wish you the best of luck.

Btw as soon as I start earning a paycheck again, it's back to weight watchers for me. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Andrea

10:35 AM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Love the "pimp my ride" analogy, Papi. Can I call you papi? In a kind of ironic NYC way?

What's this about "byetta?" PeaceBang frowns on drugs to lose weight, having been reduced to a hysterical Judy Garland type mess while on ionamin and pondimin in the early 1990s ("it's SO SAFE!"they told me. And the next thing you know I'm getting my heart checked for HOLES). I lost a ton of weight really fast but of course put it all back on, and then some.

Juliana, I'm with you on the salsa.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home